Monday, April 12, 2010

Don't Do This at Home

I have to preface this with "I do the dishes, keep a pretty clean house, and don't generally hide things in the oven." But desperate times, call for desperate measures...

I preheated the oven for what I wish I could say was this gourmet meal or something. But unfortunately, it was for bagel bites. What can I say? I'm a junk food junkie.

Anyway, after about 5 minutes, smoke started billowing out of the kitchen. I immediately knew what happened. You see, yesterday we had someone call and want to come look at the house unexpectedly. In true mom fashion, I stashed the cake pan and plastic lid (that housed some cupcakes that I finished off earlier), the muffin pan from breakfast, and an empty Tupperware container that wouldn't fit in the dishwasher into the oven. I knew the home buyers wouldn't look there.

Yep, you guessed it. I totally forgot they were in there when I pre-heated the oven. The Tupperware container and the cake-pan lid totally melted all over my oven. We had to evacuate the house due to the horrible nostril-burning fumes created by the melting plastic.

Here are my poor air bake pans... ruined by the 40 year old melted Tupperware....



Okay, this totally reminds me of another embarrassing story. I'm not sure why I feel so compelled to share tonight. I guess I need some sympathy "don't feel bad, I've done that before too" comments.

Anyway, when I was a new mom and worried about sterilizing everything, I put two nasal aspirators in the microwave sterilizer that I had for the babies' bottles. I thought, "hey... their bottles are plastic too, so no problem, right? " Yea, I learned the hard way. They came out completely melted and stuck together. Wish I had a picture of that to share with new moms.

Note to self... just do the dishes already. And don't stash things in the oven, it's a fire hazard.

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I missed seeing this post! Remind me sometime to tell you how Brian almost burned our house down this week...yeah...as in black smoke billowing out of the oven and the entire inside consumed by flames. Let's just say parchment paper and an open-flame broiler do not go together well. He was trying to be so sweet and fix dinner. I still give him credit for that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails