Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Mess of Fun

I'm pretty sure there's no meaningful reason behind the tradition of dyeing Easter eggs.  I grew up before the plastic egg craze so we dyed eggs every year. I remember tie-dye eggs, glittery eggs, eggs with faces on them, eggs with wrappers that clung to them when you dropped them into the colored dye, etc. etc. etc.  After creating our egg art each year, the Easter Bunny hid them in the house along with our Easter baskets full of chocolate, marshmallowy goodies and we had a blast searching for them on Easter morning.  I look back at some of my family traditions now and they seem crazy... crazy fun.  Sometimes it's good to do things that don't really make sense just for FUN, isn't it?

Friday night we colored eggs with Reese & Tucker for the first time at Grandma's house (because it's always good to do the messy projects at someone else's house). 

You'll see that most of the pictures are of Reese.  Tucker painted this one egg and said, "I'm done mommy. I want to get down."  And off he went to play and do more manly things.  Not at all surprising. 


Reese LOVED it though and had a blast dipping the eggs and watching them change color.  She didn't share her mom's OCDness though... the eggs must be vibrant and spend the same amount of time on all sides to even out the pantone.  She wasn't at all concerned about that... one dip and she was ready to do another. Relax Angi - let her do it her way.  Am I the only mom that struggles with this?? 


I highly recommend the whisk concept... makes it way easier for little ones to participate without making a huge disaster.  Stole that idea from some super mom's blog. 




Tucker made it back in time to do one last egg... filling his quota of two Easter eggs this year.  I'm telling you, he has the attention span of a gnat.  I'm dreading homework with this boy. 

It was fun to include Grandma, Amber and Easton in our first egg-dying experience. Reese is totally in love with this boy... I love the way she's looking at him!

Not too shabby for our first attempt.  And we didn't even ruin any clothes... now that's a miracle.  I hope we're starting traditions that will leave lasting memories for Reese and Tucker.  Even if the traditions make no sense at all!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails